Friday, August 27, 2004

Aug. 27: I'm Home!!

Hello Faithful Readers,

I am thrilled to be home and extremely touched, indeed blown away, by the popularity of this blog and the realization that there are so many people out there reading my story and rooting for me.

I have to thank all of you for your much appreciated moral support. This second time around has been much easier physically but knowing how many people are supporting me has given me an immense psychological boost too. Thanks again for all your comments, too!

Of course, I cannot thank my wonderful husband John enough for his posts. This blog was his idea in the first place and a truly inspired one at that!! It may be a cliche that you only really see what your spouse is made of in times of trouble but boy is it true. I am one lucky woman to have John by my side.

It's 10:30 a.m. and I've been home for about 1 1/2 hours. I've kissed my kids, husband and mother-in-law (who's here to look after us until I'm back on my feet) numerous times and already done my telephone banking, paid the bills and sorted my mail. I also had the first decent coffee I've tasted in almost three weeks! I'm not a huge coffee drinker but my morning cup is sacred and as we all know (or suspect), institutional coffee is not much better than coloured dishwater.

John has just reminded me that the last time I came home--after slightly over 4 weeks rather than slightly under 3 in hospital--I immediately went up to bed. This is a big improvement.

Since I'm not allowed to walk for another 3 weeks and 5 days (but who's counting?), I can't predict how things will progress. What I can say is that a fracture is not a nice thing: it was hugely painful. In comparison, this time around is much easier, even with my sore knee (which is getting better) and some incredibly tight muscles. I still don't quite understand how in the space of 3 1/2 hours of surgery, my muscles could go from their normal elasticity to almost no elasticity. I've heard the surgeons put you in some pretzel-like positions during surgery. That must be at least part of the reason.

Our cat Jelly Bean has settled into her favourite spot on the windowsill, right behind the computer. Ah, home sweet home.

1 Comments:

At August 27, 2004 at 2:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said it earlier, elsewhere, Welcome home!

Isn't it wonderful to be in one's own house and one's own bed and using one's own computer? Not to mention having your spouse and kids around. How do your boys react to all this?

We have a moderately sized travel trailer with which I love to travel because it is "home" no matter what the scenery is outside.

A couple of years ago I was in the hospital for 6 days and couldn't wait to go home.

Which knee is the painful one? The one you have to stand on? (Ouch!) Has anyone told you how it got that way?

Oh yes, now you get to compete with Sharon and Stan.

Frances (aka AnxiousWife)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home