Thursday, September 09, 2004

Sept. 9 Not a happy camper

When I left the hospital after my revision, I was given a date for my 6 week appointment (Sept. 22). In my fairly euphoric state (feeling relatively little pain, very energetic), I assumed that, just like the last time, I would be non-weight bearing for the initial six weeks and then would be allowed to slowly learn to walk again (crutches, canes, cane, nothing---almost impossible to imagine).

Over the past few days, I have come across hippy posts and sites on the Internet where people (both real and of the medical variety) refer to a three-month non-weight bearing period for those who have received bone grafts.

Today I started out-patient physiotherapy at the convalescent hospital where I had been a patient after both operations. Going back there in of itself was probably more traumatic than I had expected. I could feel a cloud of bitterness descend on me and become heavier and heavier as my appointment went on.

I discussed the non-weight bearing issue with my new physiotherapist. She said that three months seems to ring a bell. I didn't feel great. But the cherry on the sundae was at the end of the session when the physiotherapist said, "Oh, I forgot to ask you. What is your goal in coming to physiotherapy?" I didn't lose it but I said I would like to walk again, at least as well as I did before any of the hip surgery took place. I said that so bitterly that she asked me if I wanted to see the hospital social worker and discuss my feelings with her. I replied that I already have a therapist, thank you.

Now that I'm home and had my little cry, talked to Carol (who has her own concerns so we're prop each other up) and scared the pants off Squidgy with whom I was supposed to have a coffee (can't talk now--gotta cry), I have come to the conclusion that I need to get in touch with my surgeon now. If I am automatically non-weight bearing until November, I need to prepare myself psychologically and figure out how I'm going to function and be part of the family without being able to do anything but hop around on crutches. My house is so small that a walker is impossible to use, especially in the kitchen--the room where I need it most. I'm going to have to jury-rig some kind of contraption to carry things around but glasses of water, food on a plate, etc. will be impossible to deal with. I'm also afraid that one of my crutches will fall and then I'll be unable to move at all until someone comes home. My mother-in-law will be leaving around Oct. 10 and neither she nor I want her to stay longer (things are going quite well, but there's a limit to how long one wants to be away from home or have "visitors" in one's home).

If I have to be non-weight bearing, I will survive. I've just got to process what it means to me on all levels.

I will send my surgeon a fax today, asking him whether the jury's still out or whether he'll automatically extend the NWB period.

One more thing:

When my new physio asked me who my surgeon was and I told her, she said that he's the one who does all the tough cases no one else is willing to take.

Bow down and worship...

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2004 at 3:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wendy --

We're reading along and thinking of you, wishing you full healing that's as speedy as possible. The question about your physio "goal" was unbelievable. Some of these medical folks are in lalaland. And yet, you'll transcend all of this and go from strength to strength. Hugs to you, John and the boys.

Love, Andrea & Mark (Mtl.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home